Thursday, March 24, 2011

Glorious Day, Casting Crowns

Yesterday I woke to the beauty of an incredible sunrise. For some reason I have always thought that Christ will come again when the sun is shining! And while the Bible tell us that Jesus will reappear, it does not tell us when.


What it does tell us is found in Matthew 24 and 25 (also Mark 13 and Luke 21), known as the Olivet Discourse, a teaching given to the disciples when they asked about His return. These 4 chapters provide a comprehensive truth about the last days and a way to understand the end times.


Jesus tells about the first half of the tribulation in Matthew 24: 4-8 and the signs associated with Christ's return. They include 1) false messiahs (v.5); 2) reports of wars (v.6-7); and 3) natural catastrophes(v.7). These are only the "beginning of birth pangs"(v.8).


The Scientific American, the World Meteorological Organization, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency all agree that worldwide catastrophes are quickly increasing. The cause, they say, is global warming.


But the Bible tells us something different:


“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be." Matthew 24: 36-39


Lyrics:

One day when Heaven was filled with His praises
One day when sin was as black as could be
Jesus came forth to be born of a virgin
Dwelt among men, my example is He
Word became flesh and the light shined among us
His glory revealed

Chorus:
Living, He loved me
Dying, He saved me
Buried, He carried my sins far away
Rising, He justified freely forever
One day He’s coming
Oh glorious day, oh glorious day

One day they led Him up Calvary’s mountain
One day they nailed Him to die on a tree
Suffering anguish, despised and rejected
Bearing our sins, my Redeemer is He
Hands that healed nations, stretched out on a tree
And took the nails for me

One day the grave could conceal Him no longer
One day the stone rolled away from the door
Then He arose, over death He had conquered
Now He’s ascended, my Lord evermore
Death could not hold Him, the grave could not keep Him
From rising again

One day the trumpet will sound for His coming
One day the skies with His glories will shine
Wonderful day, my Beloved One, bringing
My Savior, Jesus, is mine

Oh, glorious day

Supporting Scriptures:

"But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap." Malachi 3: 2

"Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4: 8

"If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work."
1 Corinthians 3: 12-13

" And then the lawless one [Satan] will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming."
2 Thessalonians 2: 8

"And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day."
2 Timothy 1: 11-12

Find the core beliefs of true Christians here. "...and they shall know us by our love."~ based on John 13 :35

1 comment: