Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Lord Is My Light (Ps.27), Eden's Bridge/ Darlene Rose story, part 1

Russell and Darlene Deibler as young missionaries.
After Russell died, she married Jerry Rose.

"The beatings, the starvation and the solitary confinement never broke her. "I never cried in front of them," said Darlene Deibler Rose of her Japanese captors in World War II. "But as soon as everyone went away, I cried buckets." Mrs. Rose, 84, who moved to Chattanooga this year with her husband, Jerry, served as a missionary in New Guinea. She was there with the Christian Missionary Alliance from 1938 to 1942, and again after the war in what is now Papua New Guinea, from 1949 to 1978. In between, she was imprisoned for three years on the island of Celebes, now Sulawesi."

If any of this sounds intriguing, you must read the perspective-changing book, Evidence Not Seen, by Darlene Rose! It is probably, arguably, our family's favorite read (there will be more books that I want to share in time). I am holding an old copy of the book on my lap. It energizes me to think of the power of the Word of God. Her favorite Scripture, Psalm 27, memorized from childhood, sustained her through the most harrowing cruelties. She writes,

"One of the young Dyak students was tortured at the Kempeitai headquarters prison. He was completely innocent of any subversive activities, but by then the damage was done. He suffered intense pain, but he was one of those God could trust with pain. He could still praise his glorious Lord and forgive those who caused his death--for he died shortly thereafter of his internal injuries...I could be the next victim. At such times as this, I took refuge in God's Word, especially Psalm 27...I remembered Dr. Jaffray's injunction: "Lassie, whatever you do, be a good soldier for Jesus Christ." I prayed that God would help me. The hearings--for my first interrogation was the first of many--lasted an hour, two hours, sometimes longer. All the questions were relative to my alleged espionage activities. What contact had I had with the American military personnel? What knowledge did I have of Morse code? Who were my superiors? Where had I been groomed to become a spy? Where did I get my radio? They tried to brainwash me into thinking I had been used by the Americans to spy for them and that the Americans had betrayed me to the Japanese. They would be lenient if I confessed, they said, but I knew that in times of war spies were beheaded. I gritted my teeth and vowed, God helping me, that they would never break me. This experience was repeated every few days for the next month and a half. I never knew when they would call me to the hearing room again.In desperation, I poured my heart out to the Lord. "O Lord, I just can't go through another one. I can't Lord, I just can't. When there were no more tears to cry, I would hear him whisper, "But, my child, my grace is sufficient for you. Not was nor shall be, but it is sufficient." Oh, the eternal, ever-present, undiminished supply of God's glorious grace!"

Here is Psalm 27 set to Celtic music by Eden's Bridge.
Darlene's relationship with Jesus along with Psalm 27 are what carried her through it all.


Lyrics:
The Lord is my light and my salvation.
The Lord is the stronghold of my life.
Whom shall I fear? Whom shall I fear?

When men advance against me
And all my foes surround me,
They will stumble and fall, stumble and fall.
Though all the world besiege me,
And war break out against me,
I am sure in the Lord, sure in the Lord.

And in the day of trouble,
I'm safe within His dwelling,
He will hide me, He will hide me.
My head will be exalted
So far above my enemies,
I will sing to the Lord, sing to the Lord.
There is one thing that I ask of the Lord
For the days of my life;
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life.
To gaze on His beauty,
Seek Him in His temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment