Tuesday, January 18, 2011

O Lord, You're Beautiful, Keith Green


Keith and Melody Green shared Christ's compassion for the needy, as Keith invited people off the streets to live with them at their home, which over time became a community of 7 homes filled with 70 people.

"My life was radically changed by that experience." noted Jerry Bryant, the first pastor there, regarding Green's heart for God's people. "If he read it in the Scripture, he didn't see any reason not to do it," continued Bryant. "When he became a Christian, he saw where Jesus said to feed the poor and minister to those in need, so he opened his home and started inviting people to live with him."

He said he would have come to know Jesus earlier if it hadn't been for people who called themselves Christians living double lives.

On July 28, 1982, at the age of 28, Keith and two of their young children, Josiah and Bethany, were in a small plane crash and went to be with Jesus. Although Keith was one of America's best-selling Christian musicians and songwriters, recording 5 albums in his lifetime with over 1.5 million in distribution, Keith considered himself first and foremost a servant of Jesus. He often said that when he died he only wanted to be remembered as having been worthy to bear the name of "Christian".

I want to share some very important things he said about idolatry (his words have been prophetic) in future posts. He has been used to speak the gospel of Jesus Christ into so many lives. This song is the original version, while M.W. Smith's version (yesterday's post) is quite different. Lyrics:
Oh Lord, you're beautiful,

Your face is all I seek,

For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.


Oh Lord, you're beautiful,

Your face is all I seek,

For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

I want to take your word and shine it all around.

But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

Oh Lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clear.
Replace the lamp of my first love,

That burns with Holy fear.


I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.


Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I seek,

For when your eyes are on this child,

Your grace abounds to me.


Oh Lord, you're beautiful,

Your face is all I seek,

For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

Supporting Scriptures:
"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper." Psalm 1:1-3

"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." 2 Chronicles 16:9

“Who is this who looks down like the dawn, beautiful as the moon, bright as the sun, awesome as an army with banners?” Song of Solomon 6:10

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance." Revelation 1: 12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment