Tuesday, December 14, 2010

You Are My Hiding Place, by Selah

The Ten Boom home was a refuge for Jews and the Dutch underground in Holland during WWII. Corrie credited her family's strong Christian faith as the motivation for their rescue efforts.
Their lives were torn apart when her family was arrested and taken to a concentration camp. Her father died, her sister Betsie died, and she had to look to the Lord for her source of strength.

There are 3 reasons to hide:
1. It is the right thing to run and hide from rough elements of this world. I brought my red geranium in from the weather so it wouldn't freeze this winter. I placed it in a south-facing window, and it is blooming! Too often, though, we hide in the wrong places - sleep, busyness, shopping, eating...God wants us to hide in Him.

2. As we read the writings of Christians gone before us, we see that they took their greatest fears, circumstances, and thoughts and hid them in Christ. They developed an 'inner life' in Him. So you are really not living in "the financial meltdown" or a "lonely life of singleness", but you are in Christ Jesus. Acts 17: 28 says: "For in him we live, and move, and have our being..."

3. Taking refuge in Him, we take on an aura of peace and contentment that makes the world wonder why. Corrie ten Boom, after living through the horrors of Ravensbruck, a concentration camp built for women in 1939, said, "If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest." God is our only source of hope!


Lyrics:
You are my hiding place

You always fill my heart

With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid

I will trust in You
I will trust in You


Let the weak say I am strong
In the strength of the Lord

You are my hiding place

You always fill my heart
With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid


I will trust in You
I will trust in You


Let the weak say I am strong

In the strength of the Lord
I will trust in You

Supporting Scriptures:

My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Psalm 62: 6-8

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment